Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Granny's Garden

This past week has been a little hectic. I had my finals at school - 3 classes and 5 finals which included two lab practicals and three written tests. But once the test taking madness was finished and I had all my finals under my belt I was offered a fantastic opportunity.

After class I was on Saturday I was asked if I would like to spend time volunteering in Granny's Garden.

Granny's Garden is an organic garden located at an elementary school in Loveland. I believe it is the only school in this area to have an agricultural program. I did not get an opportunity to meet the woman who tends the garden but I have heard many nice things about her. I believe her name is Roberta and she is "Granny" of Granny's Garden. The Garden has many types of vegetables, flowers, and raspberry bushes.

Granny's Garden has paired up with my school to turn the fresh produce into good eats. Right now it sounds like some of the chefs at the Art Institute will be catering an event for Granny's Garden using the some of produce that we harvested on Saturday.

I spent most of my time picking ripe raspberries. They smelled fantastic! I was very excited when I found I was able to take the raspberries home with me because they didn't want them to go bad. I also took home a head of lettuce, fresh dill, beets, onions, and a bouquet of fresh flowers. It felt great to help out. At the end of the two hours I spent there, aside from being pretty sure I was sunburned, I felt like I had spent time doing something important. I would really love to work with Granny's again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment